[ RadSafe ] Longevity and Radiation

Bernard Cohen blc+ at pitt.edu
Sat Aug 13 10:06:15 CDT 2005

    ---It is my understanding that longevity is defined as life
expectancy, which is calculated using age-adjusted mortality rates. That
is, the mortality rate at each year of age in the county under study  is
applied to a hypothetical population of newborns and this population is
followed in the calculation year by year, applying these mortality
rates, until all members have died. Thus, the age distribution in the
county has no effect on the longevity. It does not enter into the
calculation.
     Age-adjusted mortality rates due to a specific disease are also
calculated in this way. Not understanding this was the problem with at
least one of the authors of a paper by Heath, Bond, Hoel, and Meinhold
which was critical of my work.