[ RadSafe ] Risk in general - not radiation-specific

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Sun Aug 28 19:31:32 CDT 2005

This just in:

SAN FRANCISCO, California (Reuters) -- California Attorney General  Bill
Lockyer has filed a lawsuit to force top makers of potato chips and french  fries
to warn consumers about a potential cancer-causing chemical found in the
popular snacks.SAN FRANCISCO, California (Reuters) -- California Attorney  General
Bill Lockyer has filed a lawsuit to force top makers of potato chips and
french fries to warn consumers about a potential cancer-causing chemical found
in the popular snacks.

A quick search for "acrylamide" and "cancer" and "risk" on Google  reveals
that this is another fear extrapolated from high-dose studies on  animals, and
makes me think this is some last ditch effort on California's part  to try and
balance our monstrous budget on the backs of the fast-food and potato  chip
industries.

If one really thinks a warning is necessary for these foods, then  let's
address the REAL problem:  "WARNING, THESE FOODS MAY MAKE YOU  EXTREMELY FAT,
THEREFORE MORE PRONE TO HYPERTENSION, DIABETES AND HEART  ATTACK.  But, since
we're all going to die one of these days anyway, you  should assess the pleasure
these foods provide against the risks on an  individual basis."

Frankly, I am embarrassed by this suit, brought ostensibly on "my  behalf,"
and to bring this back around to radiation specifically, this once  again
demonstrates a gross misuse and abuse of the LNT for carcinogens.   It's a bad
model, not necessarily because it's wrong (although I think it is),  but because
it focuses attention on negligible risk in a vacuum, rather than in  the
context of all risks.

Barbara L. Hamrick