[ RadSafe ] Depleted Uranium

Perrero, Daren Perrero at iema.state.il.us
Mon Aug 29 16:41:14 CDT 2005

Mr Rose gives a good reference to the exact wording in his reply.

Here's my synoptic version.

By my reading of the rules and regulations its not "how much", but rather
what concentration of a mixture, compound, solution or alloy you may have.
A person is exempt from regulation if they possess those source materials at
less than 1/20 of a percent by weight.  The regs also give a laundry list of
some exempt items and closest I could come is counterweights for aircraft,
rockets or missiles or shielding for shipping containers, but then you have
to be able to say your possession is related to those uses

The weight numbers you seem to recall are for generally licensed quantities.
Those licenses are only available to firms, governments, and research,
education and medical institutions.  (Note the absence of 'persons').  The
number is then 15 pounds at anyone time, not to exceed 150 pounds in a year.
In that regard you could say the rule doesn't allow a person to have any
bricks of DU.

The opinions expressed are mine, all mine.....
I'm with the government, I'm here to help you.
Daren Perrero
perrero at iema.state.il.us