[ RadSafe ] Re: LNT/threshold/hormesis - what do HPs really

A Karam paksbi at rit.edu
Wed Jul 20 16:26:56 CDT 2005

Thanks!  I would like to clarify somewhat.

I am NOT thinking to resolve the LNT controversy by vote.  This should be accomplished via scientific inquiry.

I AM trying to get a feel for the range of opinions on the matter.

Think of it as a sociology question.  For example, I am curious as to how many of us believe each of the models under consideration and the strength of that belief..  It would also be interesting to find out, for example, if there is a geographic pattern to the answers, or an employer pattern (i.e. do Europeans feel differently than North Americans, or Latin Americans, or Japanese?  do regulators feel differently than the regulated? how about researchers? and so forth).

A possible question set might be along the lines of:

Which model describing radiation dose-response do you feel is most likely to be true?
LNT
Threshold
Hormesis
Linear-quadratic
Other

How strongly do you feel about your answer above (on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being "just a wild guess" and 10 being "I'd bet my children on it")

Where do you live?
N. America
Western Europe
Eastern Europe
Russia and former Soviet Union
Middle East
Africa
Australia
Asia (not Japan)
Japan
Latin America
Other (who knows?)

Who do you work for?
Government
Nuclear power industry
Academia
Consulting
Environmental industry
Medical-related field
Other

Are you:
Radiation safety professional
Radiation biologist
Radiation-related medical (e.g. nuclear medicine, radiation oncology, etc.)
Non-radiation-related medical
Nuclear power plant worker (non-health physicist)
Scientist in a field other than radiation safety or radiation biology
Interested non-scientist and non-radiation professional
Environmental activist
Anti-nuclear activist
Teacher
Other