[ RadSafe ] Traveling After Nuclear Medicine Procedure May n ot fly

Jean-Francois, Stephane stephane_jeanfrancois at merck.com
Mon Jul 25 10:50:30 CDT 2005

This will never be solved...

On the contrary Sandy, I am a bit reassured by what I have read from Peter
Vernig. If indeed enforcement agencies are well-trained, courteous and are
using the proper tools, I don't see this extra security step of radioactive
monitoring to be an issue. For years, (at least before 9-11) most of the
people using a meter were HPs or people who had knowledge of radiation, now
we may be asking a police officer to be an HP AND an armed security
enforcement officer. In these precise conditions, I hope that the training,
the tools and ethics are excellent because honestly media and courts are not
on the field when a person makes a critical decision based on an
information, judgment call or data. Look what happened in England. I simply
hope that all the devices are properly calibrated, checked and re-checked
since one detection can cause quite a big reaction within law enforcement
agencies.

Stéphane Jean-François, Eng., CHP
Manager, Environmental and Health Physics services
Merck Frosst Canada
514-428-8695
514-428-8670
stephane_jeanfrancois at merck.com