[ RadSafe ] Re: Universal Hormesis mechanisms in vivo?

Muckerheide, James jimm at WPI.EDU
Fri Nov 4 12:58:29 CST 2005

Hi John,

You are right, but this relates to the point we've been making for 10 years
or so:  The biological responses to stresses are intrinsic to biology.

Stress response is not unique to each stressor.  The stress protein HSP70
(heat shock protein) is stimulated in many cases.  It is also shown to apply
to heat, and exercise, and to many psychological stresses, and to heavy
metals, etc., etc.

It would be unlikely (or unbelievable) if biology responded differently to
radiation, with stimulation at low doses and suppression at high doses.  (Not
all suppression is "bad," e.g., heavy exercise in the damage-repair regime,
and not all stimulation is "good."  But we know that the specific responses
to radiation are generally a net-positive effect on the biological and
physiological functions of an organism - and why cellular studies are
generally irrelevant to understand low vs. high dose effects to an organism,
even though it may be informative about (some) mechanisms.)

It is also the case that the stimulation of specific genes, proteins,
enzymes, and effects on immune cells, etc. are entirely DIFFERENT when
exposed to a low dose vs. a high dose.  In some cases the response at a low
dose is stimulated vs. suppressed, or the opposite; and in some cases totally
different genes are stimulated at high vs. low doses.  This means that a
biological "linearity" isn't possible, with responses 'similar' but reduced
at low vs. high doses.  Biological and physiological responses are entirely
different in immunological whole organisms at low vs. high doses.

Remember Murphy (PNAS 1920) stimulating vs. suppressing lymphocytes at lower
vs. higher doses? Causing dramatic decreases instead of increases of cancers
vs. controls:
http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/DD3/Murphy20PNASResistMiceCa!.pdf
(just a couple of pages).

Regards, Jim