[ RadSafe ] Educating USA antinucs

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 12:36:40 CDT 2005

Jason,
I certainly agree that we should not treat those who
fear radiation or are anti-nuclear as being stupid or
ignorant.  Look as some of the anti-nuclear groups
like the NIRS (Nuclear Information and Resource
Service).  If you have a condensing attitude, your
listeners will dismiss what you are saying.

In many cases, what we consider irrational fears and
idea may not be those who hold them.  And in some
cases you have to realize the you cannot "convert"
everyone to your way of thinking.  However, if you
plant an idea that what they have heard may be
inaccurate, you have at least started to have a
dialogue.

--- jastharris at aol.com wrote:

> Part of the problem is how to go about talking to
> the public.  For example, I have been told by many
> media experts that we should not be "educating" the
> public, rather we should be "informing" them.
> "Educating" in this context is perceived as
> demeaning, as if non-radiation protection people are
> stupid or ignorant.  Communicating effectively and
> respectfully is key. Just my two cents worth.
>
> Jason
>
> Jason T. Harris
> Health Physics Doctoral Fellow
> Purdue University
> School of Health Sciences
> Civil Engineering Building, Room 1287
> 550 Stadium Mall Drive
> West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
> w(765) 494-1530 h(217) 417-4937

On Oct. 5, 1947, in the first televised White House address, President Truman asked Americans to refrain from eating meat on Tuesdays and poultry on Thursdays to help stockpile grain for starving people in Europe.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com