[ RadSafe ] Beta emitters and external risks

Stabin, Michael michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu
Mon Oct 17 05:50:03 CDT 2005

I would certainly worry about Y-90, if your institution handles this.
I-131 betas are an external hazard, though we usually worry more about
the gammas and about intakes of the radioiodine.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068
Fax   (615) 322-3764
Pager (615) 835-5153
e-mail     michael.g.stabin at vanderbilt.edu
internet   www.doseinfo-radar.com

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of John Jacobus
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2005 7:59 PM
To: daleboyce at charter.net; radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Beta emitters and external risks

Dale,
You misunderstood what I am look for. If you had a drop of a beta
emitting radionuclide on a table what betas are of concern if you are
standing by the table?
by the way, F-18 and other PET radionuclides emitt positron or beta+
particles. Shielding for the annihilation photon radiation shields for
the positron particles.

--- radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl <daleboyce at charter.net>
wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I wouldn't ignore skin dose as a radiation hazard.
At around 9
> rad/hr/microcurie/cm^2 high energy beta emitters are
probably the biggest
> radiation hazard normally encountered in a research
environment.

> There are other beta emitters that present a hazard,
and some come
> disguised. F-18 is known for its use in PETT with
the 511 annihilation
> radiation, but the intermediate energy positrons can
give one heck of a beta
> burn (and have in the past) before the gamma dose is
significant.

> While low energy beta emitters such as C-14 may
present a reduced risk due
> to air and dead layer absorption, one shouldn't
ignore the potential rish
> from beta emitters.

risks

> > Question:  Would you say that beta emitters pose
an
> > external radiation hazard or risk?  I am not
consider
> > skin contamination.
> >
> > Are there any (other) beta emitters that you would consider to be a
> > significant external hazard?
> >
> > What is your criteria for this judgement?
> >
> > (Background:  I would in a medical research
facility,
> > and we require beta shields for work involving
large,
> > e.g., 10 mCi/370 MBq, amounts of P-32.  Are there other beta
> > emitters we should worry about?)
> >
> > +++++++++++++++++++
> > On Oct. 5, 1947, in the first televised White
House address, President
> > Truman asked Americans to refrain from eating meat
on Tuesdays and poultry
> > on Thursdays to help stockpile grain for starving
people in Europe.

> > -- John
> > John Jacobus, MS
> > Certified Health Physicist
> > e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com

> > Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to
have read and understood
> > the RadSafe rules. These can be found at:
> > http://radlab.nl/radsafe/radsaferules.html
> >
> > For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe
and other settings

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com