[ RadSafe ] Beta emitters and external risks

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 15:56:25 CDT 2005

Elisa,
However, what if the radionuclide is at some distance
from the person and not on the skin?  Beta emissions
of 100 keV can penetrate about 6 inches of air, while
maximum P-32 beta particles can penetrate about 280
inches of air.  It would appear that P-32 betas would
have more than enough energy to penetrate air and
still deposit a dose.

How far away from the Kr-85 source were beta burns
observed?  What was the activity? My estimate is the
the 700 keV beta particles of unshielded Kr-85 is 70
inches in air.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com