FW: [ RadSafe ] Re: Fw: Someone just responded to your comment

Dimiter Popoff didi at tgi-sci.com
Thu Sep 8 14:36:19 CDT 2005

Don,

>  I can do the surveys in less than 60 seconds per unit per year. I'm sure
>  the total cost of a Primalert system to do the same thing would never be
>  recovered.

Without entering the debate below, I would say that your above comment
is valid in a much broader sense.

Much of the spectrometry equipment which is installed is either not used or has
a disposable application (i.e. nobody outside those directly getting some money
out of the particular measurements and equipment really needs the measurement
results). This is of course known by the decision makers (many of whom are
supposed to make "science") and the technical parameters of what they
decide for becomes irrelevant as long as there is no risk someone will go
after them because of a particular decision. I have had numerous examples
of bosses working really hard to avoid having seen equipment which those
who will use it recommend (the best was a German professor who entered
the room in the middle of my demo and seeing I was still there and was obviously
impressing the guys turned on his heels and went out like in a cartoon...).
 I am not sure whether there are any other high-end spectrometry manufacturers
but me who manage to live without indirect subsidies of the kind described above
(and if you think with all that technology I posess I have an easy ride surviving,
think again...), but I am pretty sure many people in the field are not aware
of all the elbowing taking place about something which should be just
a deal (the fact that I do not like - and do not - participate in elbowing matches
does cost me a lot).

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com