[ RadSafe ] Looking for guidance on when to post a"Soil Contamination Area"

Flanigan, Floyd Floyd.Flanigan at nmcco.com
Tue Apr 4 08:12:56 CDT 2006

Issue the RWP in advance. Post the area for potential. Set up a
contingency plan. Treat all tools/instruments used in the process area
as contaminated until surveyed and then disposition accordingly. If
contamination is unearthed, determine whether it is 'readily
transferable' to personnel or equipment and, again, proceed according to
these findings. ALWAYS plan for worst case scenario and have a
contingency plan in place for recovery. Make sure your available
resources are set for the halfway point between conditions normal and
worst case so that you have a minimum of crew cycling should the
postulated worst case occur. Monitor moisture content of samples deemed
contaminated to avoid airborne issues. Containerize and label them
accordingly for future disposition.

Floyd W. Flanigan B.S.Nuc.H.P.