[ RadSafe ] Looking for guidance on when to post a "SoilContamination Area"

Glenn R. Marshall GRMarshall at philotechnics.com
Tue Apr 4 08:39:14 CDT 2006

Clark,

Since a soil contamination area is not defined by regulations, some
leeway is available.  Standard guidance (reference SLAC and Pantex
documents available on the internet) is to post a soil contamination
area if the concentration of radioactivity exceeds, or is likely to
exceed, the soil release criteria of 10 CFR 834 or DOE Order 5400.5.
Typically an RWP is not needed to enter a soil CA unless intrusive
activities are planned.

If you reasonably expect equipment to become contaminated above site
limits, then you have a contamination area; my suggestion would be to
post as such and specify appropriate controls in an RWP.

Glenn Marshall, CHP
Health Physicist
Radiation Safety Officer
Philotechnics, Ltd.