uite AW: [ RadSafe ] Depleted Uranium as Ballast?

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Sat Apr 8 14:33:23 CDT 2006

I remember that my good friend John McKlveen told me in 1988, when I had the
privilege to stay at his institute at Arizona State University (ASU) for
several weeks, that he had a request to calculate the dose to persons being
on the boat using a DU keel. He ended up with (how surprising!) that the
additional dose was below anything detectable.

So much about the hazards, but I think that acquiring a DU-keel should go
through the official channels. I would believe that DU cannot be bought in
any country (and how should it be shaped into a part of the keel?), so the
cost has to be asked from the boat builder.

Quite a funny question!

Franz

This message was sent to RADSAFE on 21:32 Middle European Summertime.

Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna