[ RadSafe ] New Chernobyl Study Predicts up to 60, 000 Excess Cancer Deaths

Ivor Surveyor isurveyor at vianet.net.au
Sat Apr 15 21:09:11 CDT 2006

I would be interested to know what precision should be placed on the
numerous and contradictory estimated projected future deaths from the
Chernobyl incident.

It is clear that the basic calculation is a triple product of mean
exposure dose to a population, the size of the population, and
presumably nominal risk coefficients based on ICRP.

However, current estimates make claims which usually vary from 4,000
to over 60,000.  However, on to day's radio national program, OCKAMS
RAZOR an even greater number of deaths has been claimed.

<http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/ockham/stories/s1613742.htm>

Dr John Coulter, ex Australian Senator and President of Sustainable
Population Australia quoted the figure of 950,000.  His stated
authority is Gofman J.

I wonder how many would agree with me that these figures are
meaningless, unless authors make explicit their methodology and
address the following points.

    * What actual numbers are used for the basic triple
product?  Together with errors in their assumed "risk
coefficient."   Is the distribution of exposure in a specific
population assumed to be symmetrically distributed or skew
distributed around the mean dose?
    * Where the additional exposure to a population from the
Chernobyl incident is low, then theoretically should not other
sources of exposure such as background variation, medical etc be
factored in?   Or is this really too difficult?
    *  What allowance, if any has been made to transfer "risk
coefficient" assumed based on the atomic bomb experience to another
population separated both in time and in geography. Populations with
different baseline health, socio-economic factors and so on.
    * Am I correct in making the following statement:   The brake
down of health services, infectious illness and nutrition of a
decimated post war population must have been orders of magnitude
worse that Russia in 1986?
    * What allowance if any is made for yearly variations in cancer incidence.
    * In 1945 it is very likely that for the majority of cancers,
incidence rates were very close to mortality rates.   Because of
advances in medical knowledge this is no longer true.  I suppose it
would be very difficult if not impossible to factor this into estimates?
    * In making estimates of projected deaths, authors ought to make
clear the model that they are using.  Models are important to
standardise for age, sex, of different populations.  I do not write
as either statistician or epidemiologist. However it seems to me that
one approach would be modify the probability of death column in a
life table by a radiation risk factor. Another approach may be to use
a multivariable approach (? Cox's model).   I am just interested to
know how these estimates are fashioned.
    * Is the "control population" counterfactual?  In the sense that
the estimated cancer incidence after the Chernobyl exposure is being
compared with what it would have been if there had been no Chernobyl exposure.
    * The estimates of radiation deaths are almost invariably quoted
with out stating confidence limits.  So one can have little idea of
either the accuracy or precision of the estimates.
    * I will make a final a pragmatic point.  If what ever estimate
is made it is stated that the number of deaths is too low to be
detected or empirically verified by epidemiological surveys. Do these
estimates have any real practical purpose?

Ivor Surveyor, MD (Brist), FRACP, FRCP
Emeritus Consultant Physician, Nuclear Medicine,
[isurveyor at vianet.net.au]