AW: [ RadSafe ] Cameron's refutation of "Alara Does Work"

howard long hflong at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 21 19:01:30 CDT 2006

Pollycove and others (with far more "standing"than myself)
  have reviewed (for DDP presentations) studies"shedding doubt " on Cameron's assertions by Boice and others. They sided strongly with Cameron.

   "'Healthy worker effect" was the only serious contention. We all believe the p was far too small to invalidate conclusion of hormesis. Definite benfit came from the 0.5 rem added "essential trace element" of Cameron: ionizing radiation.

  Also, benefit to rats and cells in studies reviewed by Pollycove and his neat explanation of biologic defense stimulation ( mind-boggling 9 orders of magnitude
  more oxygen-caused free radicals than the radiation - stimulated defenses). This
   also confirmed hormesis.

  The one question (raised by a radsafer) which made me double check the p effectors was:
  "Could applicants with questionable health have been steered away from exposure by admitting physicians?" I believe this is possible, but not with sufficient power.

  Howard Long

John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Rainer,
I would say that the Boice paper, J Radiol Prot. 2001
Dec; 21(4);400-3, detailing the limitations of the
shipyard worker study should shed doubt on Dr.
Cameron's assertions.

http://www.ecolo.org/documents/documents_in_english/low-dose-NSWS-shipyard.pdf

> is the most recent and I believe , the best
> representation of Cameron's work, presented by his
> long time assistant, Sponsler.
>
> Howard Long
>
> John Jacobus wrote:
> Rainer,
> I believe that he was asked to review the shipyard
> worker study due to his expertise in dosimetry.
>
> I will have to look through my docuements to find
> appropriate papers to reference or send. I will try
> and find specific referecnes that cite Dr. Cameron's
> conclusions about this study. Like you and others on
> this list, I do cannot spend all my time monitoring
> this list and reponding to every message.
>
> Nevertheless, the report itself can be found at
> http://cedr.lbl.gov/shipyard.pdf
>
> An abstract of the report was published in Radiaton
> Research, 133, 126-127 (1993) or I can send a copy.
>
> A review of the study was published in J Radiol
> Prot.,
> 2001 Dec; 21(4):400-3 or I can send a copy.
>
> Unfortunately, I forsee that this will lead to
> another
> long debate on the LNT and hormesis. Nevertheless, I
> will try and restrict my input. I have a life beyond
> this list.
>
> --- Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:
>
> > John:
> >
> > Please, could you provide some references to
> > published work where the debate counter Cameron's
> > arguments has been documented.
> >
> > Also, if I remember correctly, Cameron served on
> the
> > external referee board which closely supervised
> > Matanoski's nuclear shipyard study. I find it
> > difficult to imagine that he was called without
> > quite some professional standing also in
> > epidemiology - but of course I may err here.
> >
> > Kind regards, Rainer

"A scientist's aim in a discussion with his colleagues is not to persuade, but to clarify."
Leo Szilard
-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist