[ RadSafe ] Fwd: OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA BILL INFORMATION

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 25 06:44:09 CDT 2006

Otto,
I was told a number of years ago that scientific study
only accounts of a small component when laws are
written.  Also, politicians are beholding to their
constituents.

That is the reality of life.

--- Franz Schönhofer <franz.schoenhofer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> obtaining federal
> > treatment services, including best practice health
> screening tests
> > capable of detecting low levels of depleted
> uranium.
> > SEC. 3. Section 399 is added to the Military and
> Veterans
> > Code, to read:
> > 399. (a) (1) The Secretary of the
> > California Department of Veterans Affairs, or his
> or her
> > designees, shall assist any eligible member or
> veteran who
> > returns or has returned to this state in obtaining
> a best practice
> > members and veterans, as described, regarding
> > depleted uranium.
> >         This bill also makes findings regarding
> the health risks of
> > exposure to
> > depleted uranium and the purpose of the bill to
> assist California's
> > veterans in obtaining federal treatment services
> to detect exposure to
> > depleted uranium.health screening test for
> exposure to depleted uranium.
> > The
> > screening should consist of a bioassay procedure
> capable of
> > detecting depleted uranium at low levels and
> discriminating
> > between different uranium isotopes. State funds
> shall not be used
> > to pay for the tests or any other federal
> treatment services.
> > (2) The eligible member or veteran must return or
> have
> > returned to this state after service in an area
> where depleted
> > uranium was used or that was designated as a
> combat zone by the
> > President of the United States after 1990. The
> eligible member or
> > veteran shall either be assigned a risk level I,
> II, or III for
> > depleted uranium exposure by his or her branch of
> service, be
> > referred by a military physician, or have reason
> to believe that he
> > or she was exposed to depleted uranium during his
> or her service.
> > (b) (1) In order to effectively provide the
> assistance required
> > by subdivision (a), the Secretary of the
> > California Department of Veterans Affairs, or
> their his or her
> > designees, shall develop and implement a plan for
> outreach to
> > eligible members and veterans who have returned
> from combat
> > areas where depleted uranium was used.
> > (2) The outreach plan shall provide information to
> eligible
> > members and veterans concerning their potential
> exposure to
> > depleted uranium, the possible hazards associated
> with exposure,
> > and the right to federal depleted uranium
> screening services.
> > (c) For purposes of this section, all of the

=== message truncated ===

+++++++++++++++++++
>From an article about physicians doing clinical studies:

"It was just before an early morning meeting, and I was really trying to get to the bagels, but I couldn't help overhearing a conversation between one of my statistical colleagues and a surgeon.

Statistician: "Oh, so you have already calculated the P value?"

Surgeon: "Yes, I used multinomial logistic regression."

Statistician: "Really? How did you come up with that?"

Surgeon: "Well, I tried each analysis on the SPSS drop-down menus, and that was the one that gave the smallest P value"."

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com