[ RadSafe ] DU Licensing

bobcherry at satx.rr.com bobcherry at satx.rr.com
Thu Dec 14 13:48:40 CST 2006

Unofficial (emphasize, unofficial) answer:
When the U.S. military takes depleted uranium munitions and DU armor supplements (or any other NRC-licensed RAM) outside the United States (and its possessions and territories), fired or not, it is outside NRC jurisdiction. However, generally, the U.S. military handles it IAW NRC regulation anyway because its regulations mirror those of the NRC for the most part. In addition, under applicable status-of-forces agreements, if any, the U.S. military must abide by host nation regulations if the host nation regulations are stricter than those of the U.S.
Unused DU munitions and DU armor return to NRC jurisdiction when the U.S. military brings them back to the States.
Official answer: The NRC has formally addressed the licensing question in its reply to a petition for rulemaking. Go to the NRC ADAMS web search page (http://adamswebsearch.nrc.gov/scripts/securelogin.pl) and search on "Rokke." The relevant documents will be listed.
Bob C