AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Letter: Homeopathy and Hormesis

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Thu Feb 9 13:30:33 CST 2006

John:

1) A placebo effect is detected by comparing outcomes with and WITHOUT a causative agent, i.e., you observe an effect in the ABSENCE of an agent (like also in high potency homeopathy).

2) The hormetic effects which I have referred to are measured in the PRESENCE of a causative agent and usually with graded doses thereof.

Hence - by definition, you cannot call a graded response to a graded dosage (e.g. hormesis) a placebo effect.

3) I agree that until the elucidation of the mechanisms you are entitled to question causation.

4) I agree that some fraction of putative cures from medical drugs happen not because but in spite of the medication.

5) The recent work of Ina and Sakai has been mentioned many times the last 48 hours or so here on radsafe. I beg your pardon that I assumed wrongly that you too did take notice. Here are the references to these truly remarkable biological(!) results:

Ina Y and Sakai K.
Prolongation of life span associated with immunological modification by chronic low-dose-rate irradiation in MRL-lpr/lpr mice.
Radiation Research  2004  Feb ; 161 (2) : pp.168-173.

Ina Y, Tanooka H, Yamada T, Sakai K.
Suppression of thymic lymphoma induction by life-long low-dose-rate irradiation accompanied by immune activation in C57BL/6 mice.
Radiation Research  2005  Feb ; 163 (2) : pp.153-158.

Ina Y and Sakai K.
Further study of prolongation of life span associated with immunological modification by chronic low-dose-rate irradiation in MRL-lpr/lpr mice: Effects of whole-life irradiation.
Radiation Research  2005  Apr ; 163 (4) : pp.418-423.

Ina Y and Sakai K.
Activation of immunological network by chronic low-dose-rate irradiation in wild-type mouse strains: Analysis of immune cell populations and surface molecules.
International Journal of Radiation Biology  2005  Oct ; 81 (10) : pp.721-729.

Kind regards, Rainer