[ RadSafe ] Can tritium produce bremsstrahlung?

Cindy Bloom radbloom at comcast.net
Tue Feb 21 15:39:58 CST 2006

A pancake probe will detect bremsstrahlung from tritium sources.  I've
detected  bremsstrahlung  from gas chromatograph foils (activities about
100 mCi) and from tritium light sources.  At lower activities this effect
is not detectable.  (I'm not sure how large the activity needs to be to
detect this phenomenon with a pancake probe, it would depend on geometry
and the material between the detector and the source) .

The question really is are the bremsstrahlung-produced photons sufficiently
energetic to cause ionization.  Tritium's maximum beta energy is 18.6 keV,
which indicates that the bremsstrahlung-produced photons could have
energies up to 18.6 keV, so some of the photons are capable of producing
ionization in air, in tissue and within the pancake probe.

Cindy