[ RadSafe ] Re: Critique of Busby

Monty Charles m.w.charles at bham.ac.uk
Tue Feb 28 04:18:42 CST 2006

Dear Franz

I think you are being very hard indeed on Dan Fahey.  I am very pleased
indeed that he and you have responded to this issue.   Dr Chris Busby has
views which are extreme and controversial.  He has failed to publish in
mainstream peer reviewed Journals over several years. He is now
submitting a number of papers to a new journal (European Biology and
Bioelectromagnetics) of which he is a founding editor and he is claiming that
his articles are peer reviewed.  The Journal is offering the possibility during
the peer-review process for anyone to send in comments to the editor.
Presumably one will be supplied with a pre-publication copy of the paper.
This is indeed an unusual and bold gesture by a group who have had
difficulty publishing their views through conventional routes.  If they can
withstand peer review then of course they should be published.  But it is not
clear what will happen to comments such as those of Dan Fahey.  Merely
inviting comments does not in itself constitute peer review unless the
comments are considered and responded to and adjudicated in the normal
editorial process. Since the Journal is taking an unorthodox approach -
presumably to substantiate its claim of being peer-reviewed - I think it is fair
to ask that all comments and responses should be openly available - as with
conventional letters to the Editor.  I would urge radsafers to ask the journal
to facilitate this if it is to maintain its stance that the published papers are
truly peer reviewed.

Monty Charles

Dr Monty Charles
Reader in Radiation Physics
Head of Radiation Biophysics
Coordinator of Taught Postgraduate Courses
School of Physics & Astronomy
University of Birmingham
Birmingham B15 2TT
Tel +44 (0)121 414 3483