[ RadSafe ] Radiation Physics for Reporters

Roger Helbig rhelbig at california.com
Sun Jan 22 05:05:28 CST 2006

I had the following idea in response to a friend who is a Certified Health Physicist

Nice to hear that the good guys win one .. the bad guys seem to score points every day and the reporters seem to aid and abet them ..too bad that there is no basic radiation physics class for reporters!

So before I throw that message in the file, I want to pass the idea on to you working investigative reporters and editors

If there were reporters who expressed an interest in learning, I am sure that some from the professional health physics community would be interested in teaching them the basics about radiation physics ..

the following website triggered this idea ..

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01jan20061800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2006/E6-60.htm

"... the NMSS Director has determined that the Petitioner's requests for licensees to report incidents and over-exposures to NRC, and to remediate their facilities in accordance with current regulations, have been, in effect, granted. The NMSS Director has also determined that Petitioner's requests for modification and/or revocation of DU munition licenses, and for the imposition of fines, are denied."