AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Fears promoted by anti-nuclear Greens

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Mon Mar 13 15:59:08 CST 2006

John, as usual I agree with you. The LNT is a valuable tool for Radiation
Protection Legislation - if not the only one acceptable and administrable.

ICRP, BEIR and others are something for scientists thinking of theories of
radiation protection. No scientists make radiation protection legislation -
it is a strictly political process.

I cannot remember having seen any anti-nuclear, green, anti-radiation or
whatever movement referring to ICRP, to LNT, to BEIR, to mSv or whatsoever.
Have you, RADSAFErs ever seen anything in this context? Blaming LNT for
everything negative in radiation protection legislation and radiation risks
as perceived by the population is ridiculous, because nobody in the
population knows what LNT is. Even the most famous anti-nuclears and
anti-whatsoevers would still use the same wordings like "deadly", "a million
time more dangerous than...", "traces have been found of ...", "children
affected by .....". They do not use LNT. Neither the population would change
its believe nor mass media would change their attitude to distribution of
scaring "news", which might help to rise the circulation.

Believe me, if ICRP would lower their maximum permissible concentrations of
radionuclide uptake the groups mentioned above would still fight them the
same way, as if ICRP would recommend higher values. Those groups are not
interested in science and discussion but just opposing whatever is proposed
or on a national level in force. Even if the indoor radon concentration
tolerable would be set to 0 Bq/m3 of Rn-222 they would demand a negative
figure. (I do not joke!!!)

I am sometimes very surprised, how the power of scientists is overestimated
at RADSAFE - legislation is as mentioned above a strictly political process
and scientists are sometimes (!!!) used as a welcome shield for politicians
if they support their opinions.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer