[ RadSafe ] 60 Minutes feature on Hanford last night

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 07:41:42 CDT 2006

Sandy,
What I consider important is that after X number of
years, we still have the same issues of waste at
Hanford.  With no end in sight.

--- Sandy Perle <sandyfl at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 1 May 2006 at 13:50, John Jacobus wrote:
>
> > I think the real issue was
> > government's wasteful spending and lack of
> contract oversight.
>
> John,
>
> That too was my perception. I think that the DOE
> spokes-person didn't
> do himself any favours when he stated that when you
> have these large
> projects, mistakes will be made, considering that
> they were talking
> billions of dollars wasted and another 5 to 10 years
> added on after
> scrapping most of the work due to lack of "correct"
> specifications
> and non-approval of the construction, while still
> continuing with
> construction.
>
> I don't know the facts and can only evaluate what I
> saw. THere are
> those out there (and here on Radsafe) who do know
> more of the
> intimate details. I am sure that this episode will
> attract more
> negative media attention, also considering the
> Chernobyl 20th
> Anniversary.

"People will be shocked to see how safe it is to live in New York City."
ANDREW KARMEN, a sociology professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, on murder trends in the city.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com