[ RadSafe ] Marine solar in Hawaii

Neill Stanford stanford at stanforddosimetry.com
Tue Apr 3 13:35:59 CDT 2007

Jaro,
Thanks for the link. Looks like a maintenance issue.
My question came from my experience with small (150W) panels in tropical
marine environment. Two panels for 5 years, with no measured drop in
efficiency. They get dirty and the electrical connections need protecting
and maintaining. Even soldered, shrink tube covered, and silicone protected,
wires and connections are susceptible to the rotting effects of UV and the
corrosive effects of salt. But, the panels themselves were completely
trouble and maintenance free. I had never heard that the panels didn't do
well under these conditions. In fact, I think most off-shore ocean
monitoring buoys are powered using solar panels.

Neill Stanford, CHP
Stanford Dosimetry, LLC
(360) 527 2627
(360) 715 1982 (fax)