[ RadSafe ] three questions

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Fri Apr 6 21:32:50 CDT 2007

April 6

James:

         I asked you for CITATIONS to the papers by Ryan and by Araneta (or
you are welcome to give links).  For all I know these two authors have more
than one paper at bovik, and I don't have the time to go through all of
them looking for the basis of your questionable claims.

         I neither said nor implied that I was "unable to use Google to
find their papers".  Whether or not I used Google has nothing to do with
anything.  I asked for citations -- remember?

         You gave two citations to the medical literature to support your
claims. Verrry impressive.  Hindin's paper is questionable, as well as
having some ideological problems.  (See below for my comments on her from
RADSAFE a year or two ago.)

         You claim "there are no peer-reviewed medical reports from the
past ten years which deny the reproductive toxicity of uranium." How do you
know this?  Have you read the entire corpus of literature on this topic
over the past ten years?  If so, which I seriously doubt, how do you know
you did such a thorough search that you found all the papers?  Besides,
lack of denial proves nothing.  What about the "peer-reviewed medical
reports" that do not discuss reproduction, toxicity, or uranium?  Are they
also supposed to deny the reproductive toxicity of uranium?  A paper on
dermatological problems in children (for example) is supposed to deny the
reproductive toxicity of U?  Ludicrous.

         You also have not answered my question about how you know Han Kang
reviewed those 700+ medical records.  (You wrote, "So Dr. Kang goes back
and reviews 700+ medical records, and finds that the number of birth
defects has increased 20%. He publishes that in his agency
newsletter.")  How do you know he reviewed all those records,
James?  How?  Huh? How?  (I know.  You called him up and asked him.  How
can Kang get anything done with you calling him all the time?)

         You are good at asking questions but you're not much good at
answering them.  Later, I will have more to say about Hindin, and Arfsten,
and adverse reproductive consequences.

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com

(My comments on Hindin:)

Hindin, R.; D. Brugge; B. Panikkar (2005) "Teratogenicity of depleted
uranium aerosols: A review from an epidemiological perspective,"
Environmental Health, vol. 4, pp. 17:
http://www.ehjournal.net/content/4/1/17 "Conclusion: In aggregate the human
epidemiological evidence is consistent with increased risk of birth defects
in offspring of persons exposed to DU."

Salsman quotes the Abstract's Conclusions correctly, and the Abstract's
Results say, "Animal studies firmly support the possibility that DU is a
teratogen."

For what it's worth, in the Acknowledgements, the authors write: "Sunny
Miller, executive director of Traprock Peace Center of Deerfield, MA hosted
a presentation by Damacio Lopez (director of IDUST, International Depleted
Uranium Study Team) which Rita Hindin attended and that eventually led to
the writing of this paper. Our appreciation. Thanks to Len Dietz, Dan
Bishop (of IDUST) and Tom Fasy (Mt. Sinai Medical Center, NYC) for their
assistance early on explicating DU toxicology, and to the Uranium Weapons
Study Team (of Traprock Peace Center) for thoughtful conversations and
support to explore leads and deepen understanding of DU." (New Mexico
readers may recognize the name Damacio Lopez. DU is an important part of
his life, and as recently as Jan. 20 he had a letter published in the
"Daily Lobo," the University of New Mexico campus newspaper, calling for
yet another study of DU residues around Socorro, NM, where some DU testing
was done in the mid-1980s.) (This is a review paper.)