[ RadSafe ] " Technology to detect radiation has progressed "

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 21:50:21 CDT 2007

John,
I certainly agree.  There was a time when the majority
people in this country had the fortitude to take on
challenges as during the Great Depression and WWII.
Now we would rather pour money into projects and
ignore the facts that they may not be adequate or
appropriate.  At one time we had a Civil Defense
program based on the idea that we had ability to
survive a nuclear attack.  A real one that would
destroy a number of cities.  Now we worry about people
who had nuclear medicine tests and therapies.

--- "Flood, John" <FloodJR at nv.doe.gov> wrote:

> The anti-everything mantra of "you can't prove it's
> perfectly safe" seems to have become the focus of
> the discussion.  There is no limit to the variety of
> scenarios that can be imagined and no way to defend
> against everything that can  be imagined.  The only
> truly safe solution is to cancel the sport.
>
> There have been threats to a nation's activities
> from outsiders throughout human history, and
> societies haven't shut down in response.  We won't
> be the first to try that approach.  We will continue
> to live our lives, defend against what we perceive
> as credible threats, and try to educate the
> agressors on the catastrophic consequences of their
> actions should they do the unimaginable.  Short of
> abandoning life as we have lived it and hiding
> forevermore, what else is there?
>
> John R. (Bob) Flood
> Radiological Health
> Nevada Test Site