AW: [ RadSafe ]LNT's sound theoretical basis (hot and cold of history & journalistic credibility)

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Sat Feb 10 07:06:24 CST 2007

"The coefficients must have a sound theoretical basis in science or be derived from hypotheses which can be challenged and verified."

Harold,

I could not have said it better to characterize the "risk coefficients" of LNT proponents!

Regarding the anthropomorphic contribution to climate change the arguments of some of those not on the IPCC bandwagon have not been addressed by its proponents in a way that I would consider compelling.

Regarding the LNT postulate, not only the empirical basis is virtually non-existent (the RERF data do not pertain to chronic low dose exposures) but also no shred of a "sound theoretical basis" can be perceived which could endow it the status of a model - apart from the mythical hand-waving 'argument' that a single initial DNA damage cannot be ruled out to predetermine death from an ensuing cancer many years later.

Of course, also your remark concerning alternative models does apply to the LNT postulate!

Best regards, Rainer

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine