AW: [ RadSafe ] cost per kilowatt ratio

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Sat Feb 10 19:28:30 CST 2007

Hi Franz,

Thank you for the welcome. I joined the group back in June. I usually
am more of a lurker than a poster, but I am very familiar with Mr.
Salsman and his posts.

I don't expect to change Mr. Salsman's mind but I find that engaging
people with absolute positions like his is beneficial. It keeps my
arguments sharp. While zealots on both sides, often are unwilling to
concede a point, many people can be persuaded to change their
positions when faced with strong supported arguments.

My research is in both nuclear and solar power generation. In some
regards, I am committed to neither. As I look into the future, I see
all of the methods of non-fossil fuel power generation needing to
increase. I don't believe that any of them are perfect from an
environmental standpoint. I am open to be convinced otherwise though.

 From a practical perspective, I think that nuclear is our best
option of the next 100 years. Maybe, in a longer time frame fusion,
solar, or even wind power may win out.

In the solar energy arena, Sandia National Laboratory strongly backs
the 10000 square mile (26000 square km) solar energy rule of thumb
(http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/11/041110163722.htm)

Anyway, over the next 30 years, I expect nuclear with cogeneration of
hydrogen to solve many of the current energy problems. Although,
there are a number of materials issues to be worked out. I think this
is the path on which we find ourselves.

May we live in interesting times and I find our current situations
quite interesting.

Jeff