[ RadSafe ] Doyle and Ryan Gulf war reproductive health paper

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 16:02:48 CST 2007

Roy,
Having served as a Navy officer until 1994, the use of
tungsten munitions were being considered due to the
storage of DU near berthing spaces.  Not all of the
U-238 was freshly "minted" and the concern involved
the daugher products, such as Pa-234.  In a few number
of the older destroyers and cruisers, the munitions
were "stuffed" into spaces near the berthing areas.

--- ROY HERREN <royherren2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>    Having lived on and worked aboard Navy ships and
> Submarines for many years I can assure you that they
> are sufficiently large enough to adequately store
> any type of energetic material far enough away from
> berthing to prevent unnecessary personnel exposure.
> The US Navy has the worlds greatest collective
> experience with operations of nuclear reactors!
> Storage of DU isn't difficult when compared to all
> that the Navy has accomplished since Admiral
> Rickover launched the Navy Nuclear program.
>
>      The major reason for continued research and
> development into armor penetrating munitions is very
> straight forward, development of a better means to
> vanquish the enemy.  Politics or political fall out,
> i.e. bad publicity, are only a very distant
> secondary consideration for the military.
>

> John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
>   One of the reasons that tungsten is being
> considered
> as a replacement for DU is that on Navy ships, DU
> storage areas are frequently adjacent to berthing
> compartments. As U-238 decays, the daughter products
> emit photons of significant energies that may to
> lead
> to exposures to the men (and women) in the berthing
> areas. For the Army and Air Force, their people do
> not sleep to DU storage areas.
>
> --- "Robert J. Gunter"
> wrote:
>
> > "The fact that the DoE is trying so hard to come
> up
> > with tungsten
> > replacements, and issuing press releases about it,
> > should be proof enough
> > that there is a reason to do so."
> >
> > James, we can agree on this. There is a "reason".
> > Sometimes things are
> > done simply for PR (public relations). This should
> > not be a surprise to
> > anyone living in the US of A.
> >
> > Robert J. Gunter, CHP
> > CHP Consultants
> > Oak Ridge, TN
> > Ph: (865) 387-0028
> > Fax: (865) 483-7189
> > rjgunter at chpconsultants.com
> > Products and Services at:
> > www.chpconsultants.com

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist