[ RadSafe ] Massive Offshore Wind Turbines Safe for Birds

Bill Prestwich prestwic at mcmaster.ca
Tue Feb 13 08:43:18 CST 2007

While they are harder to relate to than birds, I once saw a post indicating that insects are killed in large numbers by land-based windmill farms This adds to
the annual loss trom highways. As the latest concern over a disease resulting in a major reduction in the bee population indicates, insects may play a
significant positive role in an ecosystem, even if they aren't nice and cuddly. The same may very well be the case for seagulls and even rats. Jerard Diamind (I
think the spelling is correct) gives plenty of examples of unintended negative consequences resulting from our tinkering. We must recognize all energy
production has consequences-all we can do is try to minimize them. For example, perhaps an ultrasound field or some other stimulus would discourage birds and
insects from approaching the farms
Bill Prestwich