[ RadSafe ] A Source of Thoriated Lantern Mantles has been Found

Allen Treadaway atreadaway at lanl.gov
Fri Feb 16 12:34:52 CST 2007

A supply of thoriated lantern mantles has been identified.  A
co-worker bought some this week off of e-bay, by searching for
"thoriated lantern mantle."

They are Coleman mantles, manufactured in Caloocan City, Philippine
Islands, by the Coleman Mantle MFG. Corp.  They are labeled "Hi-Power
Mantle," and the part number is 1111 (four ones).  Both of these are
on the front of the package.  They come in an opaque red plastic
envelope with blue trim.  On the front of the envelope is a Coleman
logo and a picture of a Coleman lantern.  The label "500 c.p." is
also on the front of the package, which I assume means 500 candle power.

Be aware that they have roughly half of the thorium content (half of
the exposure rate) of an old mantle that I have, which was
manufactured in the US 15 years or so ago.
Please don't reply to me for this---this is FYI only--.Thanks