[ RadSafe ] New Airport X-Rays Scan Bodies, Not Just Bags

Sandy Perle sandyfl at cox.net
Sun Feb 25 19:04:28 CST 2007

Clement,

Excellent dialogue. I would speculate that travelers would not typically not have this type of scanning unit in all airports, due to high cost. On the other hand, these units could result in a reduction of security staffing requirements due to better information from these units.

Considering typical backround readings of about 0.07 mSv per month (higher in many other areas), I don't have a real problem with the additional dose an individual would receive, even for freq. Travelers based on the overall benefits. Saving 1 aircraft is worth all of the additional dose. I also believe that individual dose has more importance than the cumulative population dose (significance decreased over time compared to a focus on individual dose).

Sandy Perle