[ RadSafe ] half of burning uranium becomes gas vapor

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 14:24:25 CST 2007

Colonel Eric Daxon wrote that the U.S. Veterans' Administration
"found that Gulf War veterans REPORTED more birth defects than
non-Gulf War Veterans. When they actually did the study and examined
the medical records, the birth defect rates were equal to the normal
population rates," and, "the paper that found that the birth defect
rates were equivalent did not receive much press," citing some
unpublished research of Dr. Han Kang.

Dr. Kang, the Director of the Veterans Administration's Environmental
Epidemiology Service, does not agree, stating that the total number of
"moderate to severe" birth defects in children of male Gulf War
veterans increased from an odds ratio of 1.8 from survey data to 2.2
after the pediatric medical records were examined.

Colonel Daxon should have known better than to try to misrepresent
Dr. Kang's unpublished results, because a summary of them was
published in 2003:

"Dr. Kang found that male Gulf War veterans reported having infants
with likely birth defects at twice the rate of non-veterans.
Furthermore, female Gulf War veterans were almost three times more
likely to report children with birth defects than their non-Gulf
counterparts. The numbers changed somewhat with medical records
verification. However, Dr. Kang and his colleagues concluded that the
risk of birth defects in children of deployed male veterans still was
about 2.2 times that of non-deployed veterans."
-- Department of Veterans Affairs (2003) "Q's & A's - New Information
Regarding Birth Defects," Gulf War Review, vol. 12, no. 1, p. 10:
  http://www1.va.gov/gulfwar/docs/GulfWarNov03.pdf

Sincerely,
James Salsman