[ RadSafe ] Russia to pitch for Indian nuclear market during Putin trip

Sandy Perle sandyfl at cox.net
Tue Jan 23 19:35:24 CST 2007

On 23 Jan 2007 at 17:20, John R Johnson wrote:

> Sandy
>
> Does "All of the UK's working nuclear power stations are located on the
> coast - sites originally chosen for their remoteness and to guarantee
> supplies of cooling water." mean that the "pebble bed" reactor at Winfrith
> is no longer operating. Winfrith is a long way from "the coast".
>
> When I worked there in the 1970's that reactor was ( I think) putting power
> into the grid when it worked, and was talked about as the "next generation"
> of reactors.

Hi John,

Per the following, I believe that this site is now in decommissioning:

"Winfrith was established by the UKAEA in 1958 as an experimental reactor
research and development site. During its history, eight research reactors of various
types have operated on the site. Winfrith also had a number of other facilities
including fuel manufacture and examination, plutonium laboratories, nuclear waste
treatment and storage and radioactive laboratories. The last reactor closed in 1995.
Five of the reactors have been removed from the site; the three remaining have had
fuel removed and are in various stages of decommissioning. Parts of the Winfrith site
have been delicensed and it is expected that the remaining decommissioning will be
completed by 2020."
Regards,
Sandy

Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714  Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

E-Mail: sperle at dosimetry.com
E-Mail: sandyfl at cox.net

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/