AW: [ RadSafe ] Asbury Park Press on Mangano's press conference

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 13:09:55 CDT 2007

Sandy,
There have been many studies that show that DU, Sr-90,
H-3, etc. are not causes of breast cancer, brain
tumors, leukemia, etc.  Sadly, these studies will not
stop those who believe that radiation and nuclear
power is terrible.  They wander off and have another
news conference in Trenton, Chicago, etc.  And every
time they do, someone post the information on RadSafe,
and we all whine about it.  Nothing changes, or have
you not noticed that?

If the public is so influenced by these groups, how
come we are talking about new nuclear plants.  Of
course, you cannot cite a specific example, because I
doubt any exist.  The failure of nuclear power in the
1970s and 1980s was due to economics.  Companies
grossly underestimated the cost of new plants, but
hopefully lessons were learned.  I guess that the fact
that new applications are coming before the NRC.

I just you give too much influence to groups who,
after 10 to 15 years, have demonstrated little of that
influence.

As a final point, consider that there are frequent
stories about the risk from CT exposures in medicine.
Yet, the use of diagnostic x-ray proceduces is
expanding.  And as long as insurance companies pay for
such procedure, they will continue to do so.

--- Sandy Perle <sandyfl at cox.net> wrote:

> John,
>
> Unless there were a scientific study conducted after
> such stories are
> included in the media, the cause and effect of a
> person's attitude towards
> nuclear, or any other subject, positive or negative,
> would be difficult to
> assess. I will say however that an individual's
> perceptions are groomed by
> what they hear or read in the printed or electronic
> media. I don't think
> that you would disagree with that. One can see that
> simply by reading the
> editorial pages of a newspaper, or the E-Mails sent
> to news outlets, after a
> story had been published or covered in the
> electronic media. The public
> typically is going to define their belief system by
> what they read and see.
>
> To answer your basic question, no, I can't give you
> a specific example at
> this time. Although I strongly believe that when
> there are positive or
> negative news coverage, that the professional
> community needs to be aware of
> what is covered in the public forum, since it is the
> knowledgeable
> professional that should clarify, refute or
> reinforce what is stated.
>
> I don't think anyone can disagree with that, be they
> nuclear oriented,
> administrative, business or whatever occupation that
> is being addressed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sandy

“All men dream, but not equally. Some dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds and wake in the day to find it is vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.”
Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com