[ RadSafe ] The Great Global Warming Swindle

Kai Kaletsch kai at eic.nu
Sat Mar 17 16:01:16 CDT 2007

Hi Blaine,

Yes, I understand that the program was trying to make the first point that
CO2 DOESN'T DRIVE GLOBAL WARMING. To me, that is an irrelevant point. Maybe,
solar activity has more effect than CO2. That does not necessarily mean we
don't have to worry about the perturbations that CO2 causes, above what is
caused by solar activity. In fact, when they present the graph of solar
activity vs temperature, there is pretty good agreement, until you get to
the last 30 years. Both lines go in the same direction, but by completely
different magnitudes. So, it looks like something changed (i.e. a
perturbation was introduced) in the solar activity vs climate relationship.
(They don't leave that graph on the screen very long. They take their time
following the curves as they get drawn for the last few hundred years, where
they agree very well, and then take the graph off very quickly after the
last 30 years are drawn and one line shows a slight kink upwards and the
other one seems to go off the chart.)

Now, it looks like I indeed missed your second point that "...x% increase in
CO2 will have no effect on global warming." Where exactly was that point
made? In fact, I got the complete opposite impression: Near the end of the
show, one of the skeptics argues that the global warming proponents are
using bigger CO2 emissions than there actually are and he goes on to say
something like NO WONDER they are predicting high temperature increases.

I don't understand how that statement is compatible with your assertion that
x% increase in CO2 will have no effect on global warming. That skeptic seems
to say that, obviously, CO2 causes global warming, but we overestimate the
effect because we overestimate the source term.

Best Regards,

Kai