[ RadSafe ] extremism

Muckerheide, Jim (CDA) Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us
Thu Mar 22 10:59:47 CDT 2007

Friends,

Zbigniew Jaworowski is one of the relatively few true scientists in the
world today.

He describes his background in this 2004 statement for Senate hearings.

Note also that his ref 1 is to:
Jaworowski, Z., Stable lead in fossil ice and bones. Nature, 1968. 217:
p. 152-153.

His '90s papers on ice records for climate significance include:
Jaworowski, Z., T.V. Segalstad, and N. Ono, Do glaciers tell a true
atmospheric CO2 story? The Science of the Total Environment, 1992. 114:
p. 227-284.
and
Jaworowski, Z., Ancient atmosphere - validity of ice records. Environ.
Sci. & Pollut. Res., 1994. 1(3): p. 161-171.

You can see the statement and other refs at
http://www.warwickhughes.com/icecore/

(you can see some of his radiobiology papers on our Rad Sci Health site:
http://radscihealth.org/rsh/docs

Regards, Jim
=============

Statement written for the Hearing before the US  Senate Committee on
Commerce, Science, and Transportation

Climate Change: Incorrect information on pre-industrial CO2

                                    March 19, 2004

Statement of Prof. Zbigniew Jaworowski
Chairman, Scientific Council of Central Laboratory for Radiological
Protection
Warsaw, Poland

"I am a Professor at the Central Laboratory for Radiological Protection
(CLOR) in Warsaw, Poland, a governmental institution, involved in
environmental studies. CLOR has a "Special Liaison" relationship with
the US National Council on Radiological Protection and Measurements
(NCRP). In the past, for about ten years, CLOR closely cooperated with
the US  Environmental Protection Agency, in research on the influence of
industry and nuclear explosions on pollution of the global environment
and population. I published about 280 scientific papers, among them
about 20 on climatic problems. I am the representative of Poland in the
United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation
(UNSCEAR), and in 1980 - 1982 I was the chairman of this Committee.

"For the past 40 years I was involved in glacier studies, using snow and
ice as a matrix for reconstruction of history of man-made pollution of
the global atmosphere. A part of these studies was related to the
climatic issues. Ice core records of CO2 have been widely used as a
proof that, due to man's activity the current atmospheric level of CO2
is about 25% higher than in the pre-industrial period. These records
became the basic input parameters in the models of the global carbon
cycle and a cornerstone of the man-made climatic warming hypothesis.
These records do not represent the atmospheric reality, as I will try to
demonstrate in my statement.

"Relevant Background

"In order to study the history of industrial pollution of the global
atmosphere, between 1972 and 1980, I organized 11 glacier expeditions,
which measured natural and man-made pollutants in contemporary and
ancient precipitation, preserved in 17 glaciers in Arctic, Antarctic,
Alaska, Norway, the Alps, the Himalayas, the Ruwenzori Mountains in
Uganda, the Peruvian Andes and in Tatra Mountains in Poland. I also
measured long-term changes of dust in the troposphere and stratosphere,
and the lead content in humans living in Europe and elsewhere during the
past 5000 years. In 1968 I published the first paper on lead content in
glacier ice[1]. Later I demonstrated that in pre-industrial period the
total flux of lead into the global atmosphere was higher than in the
20th century, that the atmospheric content of lead is dominated by
natural sources, and that the lead level in humans in Medieval Ages was
10 to 100 times higher than in the 20th century. In the 1990s I was
working in the Norwegian Polar Research Institute in Oslo, and in the
Japanese National Institute of Polar Research in Tokyo. In this period I
studied the effects of climatic change on polar regions, and the
reliability of glacier studies for estimation of CO2 concentration in
the ancient atmosphere."
(continued)