[ RadSafe ] RE: extremism

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Thu Mar 22 20:59:33 CDT 2007

March 22

At the same time, global warming proponents are moaning and groaning about
CO2. According to the above link,
[< http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVFossils/ice_ages.html>] 186 billion
tons of CO2 are produced every year. Six billion of these tons are man-made
a mere three percent. The other 97% comes from natural biological processes
in the ocean, and from decaying plant matter. As can plainly be seen, the
human contribution to greenhouse gases is insignificant.

Kjell Johansen replied to me, saying:

"It is my understanding from meteorology classes that while water vapor
acts as a green house gas, the amount of water vapor in the air depends
upon the temprature. Increasing the CO2 in the atmosphere traps more heat
which in turn generates the water vapor by evaporating liquids. Long story
short, without the driving force of carbon dioxide, and other gases such as
methane (which has about 16x more forcing power than CO2), there would not
be much water vapor to ta act as a greenhouse gas."

SD:

         I have never taken a meteorology class.  What you say sounds
plausible.  How did you manage to overlook what I said, to wit, only three
percent (3%) of CO2 is man-made?  Are you saying that this 3% from humans
is the sole (or major) cause of evaporation?  As a corollary of this, are
you also saying the naturally produced 97% of CO2, that we humans can not
control, has nothing to do with any alleged global warming?  It will be
futile to drag out methane and its 16x forcing power.  There is even less
man-made methane than there is man-made CO2, so even with its 16x forcing
power it still can't even begin to approach the influence of the 97% CO2
that occurs naturally.

Kjell also wrote:

"To suddenly (200 years is sudden on the geological time scale) dump large
amounts of carbon which has been sequesterd in the earth for millions of
years into the atmosphere and expect that the earth's biogeochemical cycles
will not be upset is not logical."

SD

         Approximately how much CO2 has been dumped into the atmosphere in
the preceding 200 y, and how does that amount compare in actual tonnage,
and in percentage, to the amount that has been dumped by natural processes
during the same period?

         You wrote, Kjell, "It is a form of reverse hubris to think that
humanity can not effect [sic] global climate change."

         I would say it is a form of stupendous arrogance and vast,
un-warranted self-assurance to say that humanity *can* affect the earth's
biogeochemical cycles.  A mere foot of snow will paralyze most cities in
the United States.  Six inches of rain causes everyone to go into a panic
about how the dams or the levees will break and wash everyone and
everything away.  What makes us humans think we can do so much, or that we
can have any influence at all on nature.  A simple windstorm will tear a
roof off a multi-million dollar building.  Who do we think we're fooling?

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com