[ RadSafe ] Oh dear! Nostalgic return of LOBA vs nuclear power for electricity

Maury Siskel maurysis at peoplepc.com
Fri Nov 16 07:47:45 CST 2007

quote...
"More Turbulence for Wind Energy" - "A couple of weeks back (10/30/07) I
noted that dreams of wind power's unlimited potential was running into
the reality: the nightmare of unreliability of the technology (the
tendency of wind turbines to breakdown in spectacular — potentially
dangerous — fashion). As a result it was no surprise when The Herald of
Glasgow, Scotland reported yesterday that three windfarms were being
shutdown after one turbine bent in half during heavy winds. They aren't
even sure if the turbine was turning or operating at the time. Three
entire farms are being shut down while they inspect the other turbines
to determine the risk of similar collapse. As I mentioned before, this
could the a portent of the future in the U.S.

In addition, further proof that wind power doesn't pay its own way
despite generous subsidies and state mandates in the form of renewable
portfolio standards comes out of Kansas. It seems that thirteen
potential wind farm projects are endangered, geRich Kozlovicht this,
because state regulators rejected plans to build two new coal fired
power plants in Western Kansas." (Sterling Burnett, Planet Gore)

Point to Ponder……We hear constantly that the greedy oil companies are
responsible for this price of gasoline and oil overall. I have a
question. How much of the world’s oil reserves at the well head are
privately owned? The correct answer is 10%. The remaining 90% is owned
by some government enterprise. The oil companies, being owned by human
beings, are bound to have committed some unseeming form or greediness in
their history, but when you only own 10% of a commodity you are not the
one making the rules. In this case they are not setting the prices.
Second question. Who complains the loudest about the “greedy” oil
companies? I will leave you to answer that for yourselves.
Rich Kozlovich ElKoz at juno.com

...end quote
And a Happy Thanksgiving to All ...
Maury&Dog