[ RadSafe ] Re: radsafe Digest, Vol 120, Issue 4

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 07:19:25 CST 2007

I think it is important to note that increases in
cardiac care has also followed the increase of the
number of Walmarts in the U.S.

--- Tony Harrison <laharris at smtpgate.dphe.state.co.us>
wrote:

> It's more interesting than that, depending on where
> you get your
> figures.  According to the National Institutes of
> Health Morbidity and
> Mortality 2007 Chart Book on Cardiovascular, Lung
> and Blood Diseases,
> case fatality rates for myocardial infarct have
> declined since 1970, but
> hospitalization rates increased from 1965 to 1986
> and have been
> relatively flat since.  One could make the case that
> fallout lead to
> increased rates of heart disease but improvements in
> care (including in
> imaging) have more than offset that increase.  To
> mix a metaphor, the
> deeper you dig, the harder it is to separate the
> wheat from the chaff.
>

> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:44:46 -0500
> From: "stewart farber" <radproject at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] New Mexico Testing for DU
> -meaningless
> 	associations
> To: <bobcherry at satx.rr.com>, "Roger Helbig"
> <rhelbig at california.com>,
> 	<radsafe at radlab.nl>
>
> Hi all,
>
> For those that enjoy meaningless associations
> [either positive or
> negative]
> with increased radiation exposure consider the
> following.
>
> It is interesting to look at the increased rates of
> nuclear bomb test
> fallout during the peak days of atmospheric testing
> [which ended in
> 1963 for
> the US and Soviets with the open air test ban
> treaty] and the fallout
> occuring through the late 1970s as the atmospheric
> inventory of test
> fallout
> came to earth.  This total open air bomb test
> deposition and radiation
>
> exposure to the entire Northern hemisphere dwarfed
> by countless orders
> of
> magnitude anything from DU. Of interest,  you will
> see that rates of
> death
> from heart disease in the US declined steadily and
> significantly
> throughout
> the 70's and into the 80's with increased fallout
> radiation doses to
> our
> entire population.
>
> The negative association of fallout with decreasing
> heart disease rates
> and
> heart related deaths is just an interesting -----and
> meaningless,
> fact.
>
> It has been said that "There are three types of lies
> - lies, damn lies,
> and
> statistics." - This quote is variously attributed to
> Benjamin Disraeli
> [...]

"If you guard your toothbrushes and diamonds with equal zeal, you'll probably lose fewer toothbrushes and more diamonds."
- Former national security advised McGeorge Bundy
-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com