[ RadSafe ] Re: Permanent radioactive implants

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 2 21:29:14 CDT 2007

Chris,
If you are talking about the seeds used in prostate
therapy, apparently there is one system that uses
permanently implanted strands,
http://www.standardimaging.com/solutions.php?id=6
I am more familiar with plans where the seeds are
injected into the tissue individually.  Orthogonal
x-rays are taken after surgery to determing how many
seeds were injected into the tumor volume.  Under
x-ray imaging the seeds are easy to locate.

Thanks for pointing this out.

With regard to the use of markers, ribbons are used in
intravascular brachytherapy.  They usually Ir-192
seeds.  Some ribbons have the lead markers you mention
to better visualize the placement of the ribbon in the
blood vessel under fluoroscopy, where the resolution
is poor.

--- Chris Alston <ALSTONCJ at gunet.georgetown.edu>
wrote:

> Franz
>
> The Pd-103 is contained within the seeds; one brand
> uses a graphite matrix, with a Pb marker in the
> center for easy location by x-ray.  The seeds
> themselves are titanium, as with many, if not most,
> metallic implants.  In this case, I don't know what
> the strands, which in turn contain the seeds, are
> made of.  But, one brand of stranded seeds for
> permanent implant uses Vicryl, which is similar to
> surgical suture material.  Eventually, it dissolves,
> and is disposed of by the body; harmlessly as far as
> anyone can tell.
>
> Cheers
> cja

> 08/23/07 03:15PM >>>
> However this link provokes questions. Being a
> non-native speaker I have
> problems with the expression "stranded seeds". 70
> seeds seems to be a rather
> large number. Of course Pd is an extremely inert
> metal, but were the seeds
> metallic Pd?
>

> CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this
> communication,
> including its attachments may contain confidential
> information and
> is intended only for the individual (s) or entity
> (ies) to whom it
> is addressed . The information contained in this
> communication may
> also be protected by legal privilege , federal law
> or other
> applicable law. If you are not the intended
> recipient of this
> communication , you are hereby notified that any
> distribution,
> dissemination or duplication of this communication
> is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this communication
> in error please
> immediately delete and destroy all copies of this
> message and
> please immediately notify us of the error by
> separate communication
> . Thank you.

"If you guard your toothbrushes and diamonds with equal zeal, you'll probably lose fewer toothbrushes and more diamonds."
- Former national security advised McGeorge Bundy
-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com