[ RadSafe ] Re: Subsea detector required

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Tue Sep 11 23:36:11 CDT 2007

Hi Radsafers:

       This is from:   jpreisig at aol.com   .

        Dear  Marcel S.,    I hope Dr. Joe Toole can read this on radsafe.

        EMR Photoelectric/Weston/Schlumberger (or whatever it is called now)
makes photomultiplier tubes for the oil industry.  As such, the tubes are
built
for high temperature and high Pressure conditions.  As for exposure to sea
water, I hope the detector(s) will be placed in a downhole sonde.  Cable
lengths
seem to be no problem, as Schlumberger tubes go deep into oil wells.
Many different tube types are available.  I suspect detector crystals can be
added on per user specifications.  EMR Photoelectric/Sclumberger is
located on Wallace Road, Princeton Junction, New Jersey, USA.  I don't
think the tubes are inexpensive.

       There are some rather small PM Tubes available.  You'll have to
consult EMR/Schlumberger about tube sizes.  I suspect one can use many
different types of MultiChannelAnalyzer.  I think the photomultiplier tube or
tubes would be for sale (not for borrowing).  EMR Photoelectric/Weston/
Schlumberger sometimes advertises in Physics Today (USA).  I dare you to find
their website in all the Schlumberger Information.

       I hope they can sell you some photomultiplier tubes that they usually
construct.  Timewise, you are cutting things pretty close.
Good Luck.

       Regards,            Joseph R. (Joe) Preisig,  Ph.D.

<BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's new at http://www.aol.com</HTML>