[ RadSafe ] Re: The good news about nuclear destruction

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 15:00:14 CDT 2008

Hi -

I've been observing during this discussion, that nothing has been said about
the quality of teaching for schools.  It is my observation that (at least
for New Mexico) the starting salary of an engineer is three times that of a
teacher.  In fact, a teacher's salary is so low that they generally cannot
meet the minimum requirements to obtain a mortgage to buy a home.

So, is it that the material (calculus, physics, chemistry) is not being
taught effectively by poorly paid teachers, or that students are looking
elsewhere for effective role-models? There is no financial incentive for a
highly qualified individual to teach because they can certainly find more
financial reward and probably intellectual reward in the industry.

So, I offer Clayton's words re-written: If scientists were compensated at a
level comparable to teachers, either no-one would become a scientist, or the
teachers' salaries would significantly increase.

But as a side note, I don't find that many kids seeking their futures as
sports or rock music heroes.  In fact, most of the kids that I know are
headed for university.

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn
Houston & Albuquerque