[ RadSafe ] Yucca Mountain / o.4 Sv extra radiation over 10 years.... / Miller and McClain, 2007

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Sat Jul 5 19:02:53 CDT 2008

July 5

         Comments from Steven Dapra (SD).

[edit]

James Salsman (JS):
The Miller and McClain 2007 review clearly indicate mutations and other
chromosome aberrations, and their findings have been adopted by the U.S.
National Research Council:

http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11979&page=90

SD:

         This page of the National Research Council book cites two papers
by Miller.  One was published in 1998 and McClain is not one of the
co-authors.  The other was published in 2003, and McClain is the fifth of
six co-authors.  Even if Miller and McClain did write a paper in 2007 about
mutations and other chromosome aberrations, it is not cited in the link
given by JS.  The Council has not "adopted" anything.  All it did was
report what Miller and an assortment of co-workers said in 1998 and in 2003.

         The Introduction to the 1998 Miller paper says, "In spite of
epidemiological studies that suggest that uranium is a carcinogen (1),
there is no evidence that uranium of any type (depleted, naturally
occurring, or enriched) can transform human cells to the tumorigenic
phenotype (1)."  [Reference (1) is to BEIR IV.]

         Did you see that James?  NO EVIDENCE.

         Following the Abstract, Miller and her co-authors say, "The
contributions of Eric Daxon, [and various others] are greatly appreciated
and were invaluable to the success of this project."

         On March 6, 2007, on RADSAFE, James Salsman wrote,  "Then Eric
Daxon lies that Kang actually found a decrease after medical records
review, not an increase."  Salsman calls Eric Daxon a liar, while Alexandra
Miller --- whose work Salsman is waving around all over the place ---
thanks him for his "invaluable" contributions.  This would be funny if it
weren't so utterly pathetic.

[edit]

Steven Dapra (SD) wrote:

 > According to McDiarmid et al., so few chromosomal aberrations were found
that they couldn't perform linear regression on them.

James Salsman (JS):
What do you think the relation is between the ability to perform linear
regression and confirmation of their existence?

SD:

         It doesn't matter what the relation is.  All that matters is that
so few aberrations were found that no analysis (regression) could be
performed.  (McDiarmid et al. wrote, ". . . it was not possible to use
regression to assess its relationship with ln urine uranium . .
.."  There's your "relation" --- it's not possible.)

Steven Dapra wrote:
 > it has become patently obvious to me that you *can't* read reports.

JS:
Steve, three months ago you were trying to convince us that uranyl wasn't
teratogenic. How long do you intend to keep playing the fool? If you have a
problem with the way Miller and McClain characterized McDairmid's results,
please email or phone her at her office. She is on Eastern time and
returning from her vacation on Monday.

SD:

         I wasn't trying to convince anyone that uranyl wasn't
teratogenic.  I was asking you to present some evidence (for example the
Domingo paper) to substantiate your anti-DU histrionics.  As it turned out,
the Domingo paper didn't do much to support your histrionics, and after
some perfunctory comments you dropped the matter.

         Miller and McClain summarized McDiarmid et al. thus:  "McDairmid
et al (2004), in their 10-year follow-up of 39 veterans exposed to DU in
friendly fire incidents during the 1991 Gulf war, reported that the study
participants exposed to the highest levels of DU showed a statistically
significant increase in chromosomal aberrations as compared with
low-exposure groups."  McDiarmid et al. did not say there was a
statistically significant increase in chromosomal aberrations.  If you had
bothered to read McDiarmid you would have known this.  If anyone on RADSAFE
is playing the fool, it's you, James.  Even if I'm the only one willing to
say so, I'm certain it's obvious to everyone.

Steven Dapra