[ RadSafe ] chemical form of industrial irradiation sources

Peter Bossew peter.bossew at jrc.it
Mon Jun 30 05:11:40 CDT 2008

Dear listers:

Does anybody know in which chemical compound gamma irradiation sources
used for material testing, medical use or food irradiation and the like,
are usually delivered ? I am particularly interested in 137Cs, 60Co and
192Ir in this context.
Anything known about solubility in water or eventual reactions with air ?
Are such sources being used in ceramic compounds ?

As far as I know the Cs source involved in the Goiânia accident was CsCl
as powder.

Thanks for hints.
Peter

--

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it

WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission."