[ RadSafe ] chemical form of industrial irradiation sources

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Mon Jun 30 09:41:26 CDT 2008

Peter: I cannot reply regarding the types of sources you mention. However,
all Cs137 sources we use for sub-surface measurements in oil wells are of
Cesium chloride contained in an insoluble, ceramic matrix,
triple-encapsulated in MP-35 alloy.

Some very old Cs137 sources had the cesium chloride encapsulated in glass
microspheres (a 3-m process, I believe). However, the danger of these
microspheres being broken (for instance, in a downhole incident where the
steel encapsulation was breached) and the (soluble) cesium chloride released
caused the US government to ban there use in downhole applications.

Regards
Doug