Re: [ RadSafe ] “Dirty Bomb” Mat erial in Use Across Canada

Michael LaFontaine, P.Phys. LCS at golden.net
Tue Mar 4 21:15:09 CST 2008

Not just Canada - any country with a nuclear
medicine facility in its hospitals,
radiochemistry/nuclear engineering faculty in its
universities, Am-241 smoke detectors, Co-60
irradiators, Cf-252 calibrators, Sr-90 batteries,
nuclear gauges, industries that use Ir-192 or
Co-60 cameras, etc., etc., has all the
prerequisites for "dirty bomb" material. For
those of us working in the industry, the onus is
on us to ensure adequate safeguards and
compliance/reporting to regulators - all the
sources I've come across in Canada and the US in
my 30 years in the field, have been "very"
secure. I'm sure the same holds true for our
European colleagues. Not being naive, but these
sources are not generally left unattended.

Michael LaFontaine, P.Phys., RSO
Manager - R&D
IST Canada
465 Dobbie Drive