AW: [ RadSafe ] DHS Tests of Radiation Detectors WereInconclusive, Report Says

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Thu Mar 6 17:50:36 CST 2008

Sandy et al:
I agree with your definition of calibration (as required, for instance, but
regulation in many instances). But in addition, I guess there is what is
(loosely) called a secondary calibration (or better referred to as a field
check or function check), where the user checks his instrument against a
known reference (normally supplied by the instrument manufacturer to the
user) to verify that it is functioning correctly.

IMHO, anything beyond the normal calibration and a field check with the
user's own references (and NOTHING supplied by the persons evaluating the
instrument performance) would be "fudging"......

Regards
Doug