[ RadSafe ] FW: [NukeNet] Job open at NIRS, new calendar, more updates

Roger Helbig rhelbig at california.com
Fri Mar 7 05:52:01 CST 2008

From: nukenet-bounces at energyjustice.net
[mailto:nukenet-bounces at energyjustice.net] On Behalf Of Michael Mariotte
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 2:28 PM
To: nukenet at energyjustice.net
Subject: [NukeNet] Job open at NIRS, new calendar, more updates

Nuclear Information and Resource Service

6930 Carroll Avenue, #340, Takoma Park, MD 20912

301-270-6477, nirsnet at nirs.org, www.nirs.org <http://www.nirs.org/>

Some short updates and items from Nuclear Information and Resource Service:

Work at NIRS! We are seeking a permanent, full-time Administrative
Coordinator/Office Manager/Activist. This is a key position at NIRS-this
person is the glue that holds the organization together. The job description
is available on NIRS website at http://www.nirs.org/about/jobs.htm. To
apply, send your resume to nirsnet at nirs.org with the subject heading:
Administrative Coordinator.

Got Graphics? NIRS is looking for vibrant images for this new round of
nuke-fighting! If you will donate images to NIRS--both of the nuclear
madness we fight and the positive world we seek to build--we will select and
use them on documents, posters, our web site, possibly T-shirts and other
vehicles for reaching folks to say NO NEW NUKES!  And, of course, we will
give the artist full credit. Send your graphics and ideas to
<mailto:nirsnet at nirs.org> nirsnet at nirs.org or to NIRS, 6930 Carroll Avenue,
#340, Takoma Park, MD 20912.

Check the Calendar! NIRS has added a public calendar to our website. We'll
be posting comment deadlines, events, protests, conferences, congressional
vote alerts and more. Send items you'd like included to nirsnet at nirs.org
with the word Calendar in the subject heading. You can access the calendar
at http://www.nirs.org/calendar.htm.

Help us Help You! Many of you have asked us to make it easier for you to
respond to our Alerts by including ways for you to e-mail your legislators,
send comments to the NRC, etc., directly from our Alerts. We'd like to make
that possible, but the technology to do so is more expensive than you might
think. Some organizations spend $20,000 or more per year on this kind of
technology. We've found a way to do it for much less, but first-year costs
for NIRS would still be about $5,000. We'll set it up as soon as we can
raise the funds! You can help by making your most generous possible
tax-deductible contribution on our secure server at
https://secure.campagne-online.com/registrant/donate.aspx?EventID=2927
<https://secure.campagne-online.com/registrant/donate.aspx?EventID=2927&Lang
Pref=en-CA> &LangPref=en-CA

Save the Date! July 11, 2008, The Center for Science in the Public Interest
will be holding its Fourth National Integrity in Science Conference. Titled
Rejuvenating Public Sector Science, it will be held at the Ronald Reagan
International Center, 1300 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20004.
Become part of the growing movement to reinvigorate public sector science
and end corporate and political influence over the scientific process.
Sessions will include:

Tackling the Climate Crisis: Unleashing Government Research

Curbing Conflicts in Medical & Environmental Science

Rebuilding Research Capacity at Regulatory Agencies

Clean Energy -- Do Special Interests Drive the Agenda?

Endangered Species Protection in a Hostile Climate

Journals and Disclosure -- Getting It Right

Who's Backing Whom in the Peak Oil Debate

Conference details and registration will soon be available at:
http://www.cspinet.org/integrity/conflictedscience_conf.html

Conference co-sponsors include (list in formation):

Beyond Nuclear

Endangered Species Coalition

Government Accountability Project

Nuclear Information and Resource Service

OMB Watch

Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility

The Project on Scientific Knowledge and Public Policy

Union of Concerned Scientists

If you wish to co-sponsor and help build the conference, please contact
kstade at cspinet.org.

Thanks for all your help, activism, comments and thoughts!

Michael Mariotte

Executive Director

Nuclear Information and Resource Service

---------------------------

If you haven't yet signed the Simple Statement on Nuclear Power and Climate,
please do so here:  <http://www.nirs.org/petition2/index.php>
http://www.nirs.org/petition2/index.php (but please don't sign multiple
times!). If you have signed, please pass this address on to your friends and
colleagues!

This is the NIRS E-Mail Alert list. You are on this list because you signed
up on our website, at a NIRS table at a concert, on a petition, or directly
to NIRS. Your name and address are never sold, rented, or traded with anyone
for any reason.

For address changes or to unsubscribe, just send an e-mail to
nirsnet at nirs.org. If you have friends or colleagues who would like to be on
this list, have them send a note to nirsnet at nirs.org