[ RadSafe ] Luggage/package X-ray Screening SafetyStandard (UNCLASSIFIED)

Cary Renquist cary.renquist at ezag.com
Mon Mar 17 13:07:51 CDT 2008

The units' cabinets appear to be designed so that there is sufficient
space before and after the primary beam that one could not insert an
extremity directly into the primary beam unless one was laying on the
belt (or perhaps built like an orangutan).  It looks like if you stick
your arm through the flaps you will get unshielded scatter exposure, but
not exposure from the primary beam.

The baby carrier would be the exception that could not be easily handled
by a physical/mechanical design -- there would need to be some sort of
sensor-interlock mechanism (perhaps some sort of infrared sensor).

Cary

---
Cary Renquist
RSO, Eckert & Ziegler Isotope Products